Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Salsa (!)



When it comes to salsa, we all know that homemade is hard to beat. (Impossible?) For my personal favorite canned-tomato recipe, which I've been making all winter, see HERE. But sometimes we find ourselves in a pinch -- in the salsa aisle, wondering which of the assortment of pureed tomato products will deliver for our imminent Mexican fiesta ? ? ?

Our question for you is:

What's your favorite store-bought salsa?
In case you're wondering, I like Herdez (medium).

amor,
em


**for those of you just dropping by, we're in the middle of "Best of/Tip/We Recommend Week" here at Bloom. Scroll back through the last few posts to see what we've been dishing about and weigh in.**

12 comments:

Natalie said...

Store bought: Probably PACE, those commercials sold me.

Home canned: Salsa Ninety-Nine from Allrecipes.com. The best!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Salsa-Ninety-Nine-Mild/Detail.aspx

Jonesy said...

Hands-down, El Pinto. Nothing else store-bought comes close for me. Everything else is to vinegar-y.

Ria said...

Pace Picante for sure.

Mickie and Matt said...

Funny, Herdez medium is the ONLY kind of Salsa we get too! We stubbled upon it and have NEVER looked back.

Mickie and Matt said...

stumbled... not stubbled

PurpleGoddess said...

Herdez Salsa is the only non-fresh salsa allowed in this house! otherwise, it's fresh tomatoes, cilantro, onions, serrano peppers, lemon juice and a smidge of lemon juice.....NOM NOM, now I'm hungry!

Melissa said...

My husband makes homemade salsa to die for. But when we don't have it, we use Rojo's mild, medium or hot. It is pretty fresh and chunky.

Rasmussen Family said...

walmart's sam's choice thick and chunky brand is awesome!

Natalie said...

Em, just today I thought "I need to find a really good homemade salsa recipe!" You can bet your bottom peso I will be making that one! Mmmmmm. As for store bought, I can't remember the name...it's at Newflower...I'll get back to you on it. :)

jeanine said...

My husband makes awesome salsa... but when we don't have that we use Walmart thick and chunky

Joan said...

Herdez-Mild.
But it still doesn't beat homemade: fresh cilantro, green onion, garlic salt...yummmmm.

Rachael said...

I always can VAST quantities in the summer using the Ball Blue Book recipe--I think the one for "zesty salsa." I think last year I did two or three cases...