Monday, August 31, 2009

Anne

Photobucket


"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined."
(Henry David Thoreau)


You would think that a career in elementary teaching would lend itself readily to motherhood, but I found it a rockier transition. I was used to dressing my best, getting out the door early, and feeling like somebody important as I dropped my sack lunch in the staff room and marched down the hall to my cheerful classroom. I felt like a hero every time one of my students' reading level advanced. My heart leapt when I heard the words, "Oh, I get it!" I felt like I was making a real contribution in the world. And then, suddenly, I found myself in a recliner all day, nursing a fussy baby. I felt lost. I felt unimportant. I felt ugly.

It would be months before I felt comfortable in my new career-- full-time motherhood. I realized that I needed to develop a whole new skill set. And do you know what got me excited about that? Being introduced to other women, who were sharing their daily triumphs and struggles on their blogs. I started peering in on moms that genuinely loved being moms, who were performing brilliantly in their chosen career. For the first time since leaving the classroom, my heart was excited about something. I wanted this. I chose this. It was time to thrive in this. I wanted to be a fun, creative, gentle, patient mother. I wanted to cook great meals with whole foods. I wanted to learn how to sew. I became interested in making my home beautiful--in making my life beautiful. And I set to work.

I hope that, regardless of what season you find yourself in right now, Bloom will inspire you and help you 'live the life you've imagined.'

10 comments:

Valerie said...

I love what you said up above. I felt EXACTLY the same when I became a mother. I too also had to figure out how to be the best in my new role (still learning), and I too all of the sudden wanted to learn to sew, be creative, be and make things beautiful, I am still working on learning how to do these things and at times it's super frustrating. I can't wait to read more of what you write on BLOOM.

Gail said...

Hi there, I know exactly what you mean - I used to teach too and it really was a rude awakening when I entered the world of motherhood! It's only now that my eldest has started school that my old skill set is really starting to prove it's worth (and that's in the form of me being in the classroom as parent help!)
I love being an at-home mum. My creative self has really blossomed!
Looking forward to reading you blog regularly!

Rachel said...

Wonderfully said! I love this...really. You just inspired me Anne. Not only are you stinking adorable, you are genuine and fun. Go Mom! What a great blog! I'm adding it to mine right away!

KarenS2000 said...

You are an inspiration Anne. I can't believe it's taken me so long to get on here. I look forward to reading more on Bloom. :-) -Karen

Heather said...

You literally take the words right out of my mouth. As I was reading this I got so excited to have a place to go for inspiration for the EXACT things you mention! Thank you for this!!!

Likely said...

girlfriend. I just read your post today about early rising and then I clicked to learn more about you here and I just can't believe it. I could have TOTALLY written the introduction you just wrote. I was a teacher --- TEACHER OF THE YEAR EVEN!!! I don't say that to brag but I LOVED what I did and the transition has been hard, despite really loving mothering.

I think we might be kindred spirits -- ha. You might like my blogs --- especially Likely Classroom. I started it because I missed teaching and wanted to document some of the fun learning activities I do with my children. You can click on my name to read my main blog (family blog) and Likely Classroom.

Are you the one who contacted me about Cjane's bowtie post??? I will see if it was you or your friend through etsy....

lacy lee said...

Just found your site. I'm loving it. Thanks! But, I do have to correct your Thoreau quote. I see it misquoted/paraphrased so often but the whole thing (from Walden) is beautiful:

"I learned this, at least, by my experiment; that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours."

lindsey. said...

Anne, I am so happy to have found Bloom. I, too, want to sew and make my home beautiful and be a well-rounded mom. There are many other mom blogs out there, but I think Bloom is going to really suit me. Thanks for that!

Emilee said...

Anne, long time no see! I had heard that you and Emily had started a blog and just now found it. Are you two in Utah? I hope to be moving back there in the next year. I'm excited to keep up with your lives through the blog. You're beautiful girl!

Kim said...

Anne!!

My long lost friend!!!! I can't believe I just stumbled onto your blog! I've been missing you and you've been on my mind since I moved to Oregon, that's right! Okay, you're probably wondering who is this? It's me Kim Barlow(I was pregnant!) from your BYU Cohort days. Remember me, 5th grade Midway Elementary. Forgot the awesome teacher's name. Mrs. Shumway/ Mrs. Thorton. Classic ladies. So many questions I want to ask you, like how was your mission, teaching, where are you living (Portland I hope.) What a beautiful family you have! You make me happy. So good to run into you.

Love kim
kimberlykbarlow@gmail.com