Friday, January 15, 2010

Holiday Reading!

Monday is Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day! There are so many wonderful children's books about him, and I want to share a few of my favorites with you now so you can find them over the weekend at your favorite shop or library.A Picture Book of Martin Luther King, Jr. by David A. Adler
This comes from an excellent series of children's picture books about historical figures. Adler does a wonderful job of telling the true stories of Dr. King's life in a way that is exciting to a young, school-aged child. This is a great one to read aloud to any age and could be read independently by about 3rd grade.



Martin Luther King, Jr. (DK Biography) by Amy Pastan and Primo Levi
This is a chapter book--great for those upper elementary grades. DK (Dorling Kindersley) is a fabulous publisher. As a general rule, when I see the DK in the top left corner, I know I can trust the book. I have this book myself, and it is excellent, so you can trust both DK and me. ;)



And finally, my absolute favorite--Martin's Big Words by Doreen Rappaport, illlustrated by Bryan Collier. The illustrations are brilliant, the text ingenious. If you were going to own just one children's book about Dr. King, this--in my humble opinion--should be the one! (More details on the book and whey I'm in love with it here.)





Happy Holiday! Make it meaningful!

No comments: