Thursday, May 26, 2011

A Tender Mercy by Bloom guest Mickie

Photobucket

Every Tuesday I try to think of a Tender Mercy and share it on my blog. Sometimes they are silly little things sometimes they are HUGE life changing things. It seems to me the trend in blogging for moms is to project that life as a mother is all hearts and flowers, that they are always put together and on top of things, their houses are always spotless, their kids are always dressed to perfection and perfectly behaved. Tis no so! Not even close! I think it's important to talk about the rough times as much as the good times because in reality my blog is for my children. Maybe some day in 20 years my daughter will be in a similar situation and find some solace or courage because of something I said. Here is a recent example of my 'Tender Mercy Tuesdays...'

At about 7 pm last night, the Spence house was a little nuts. I was trying to feed Maylee and Ty at the same time and neither were being very understanding that there was only one of me and two of them! It ended with Maylee not being properly burped and screaming while Ty was so mad that I didn't get him MORE applesauce soon enough that he hucked the bowl and provided me with my first applesauce explosion to clean up in the kitchen. On top of that I am realizing that I haven't eaten and those that know me know that I don't have the longest patience in the world when I am starving. I didn't get mad or upset I just did the best I could to fulfill everyones needs before mine.

As I thought everyone was taken care of I started to make something for myself. I was cutting up watermelon and in my hypoglycemic state sliced my finger nicely... Then the crying starts again from both children for various reasons and I can't do anything about it because my finger is bleeding so badly I would get blood all over if I left the sink. I finally got everything under control AGAIN then started cutting up the pineapple. Yeah, pineapple juice in an open flesh wound (even wrapped ina band aide) is right up there with lemon juice. Not a good idea... None the less I got dinner in the oven for Matt and myself and got to work stripping down Ty and consoling Maylee.

After things settled down, dinner was eaten and everything was cleaned up at about 8 o'clock I got Ty in the tub (he played in the mud for about 2 hours earlier that day) and I was getting splashed like crazy. I finally got him to bed and Maylee started in on her "fussy" time so I got her and was trying to calm her down when I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. HA I about fell over laughing. I looked pretty darn put together that morning... by 8 that night my hair was going every which way from numerous games of peek-a-boo and wrestling with Ty and his blanket, my make up was all but gone due to the water splashed in my face, I had blood on my pants, mystery stains on my shirt, my forearms had mud speckled on them from being in close proximity of Ty the mud slinger and my shoulder smelt a bit like baby puke.

I got to thinking, REALLY? I signed up for THIS? I just wish there was someone with a video camera that could have followed me for those hours and then brought it in to show those high school students that think they are old enough to be sexually active... these are the consequences! I CHOSE to do this and it's still crazy and hard. BUT for some reason I love it. ALSO, what makes it even better is I have a loving husband who comes home from work and school and takes the kids so I can shower, relax a little and gear up for the next day of applesauce explosions and mud slinging competitions. What on EARTH would I do with out him! Also not having him around this weekend just nailed it down... being a Single Mom would be TOUGH STUFF!

Anyway, It all just reminded me of this quote I saw on my SIL's fridge this weekend. It summed it all up for me...

“I don’t want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails. I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp. I want to be there with grass stains on my shoes from mowing Sister Schenk’s lawn. I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbor’s children. I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone’s garden. I want to be there with children’s sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived.” Marjorie Hinckley

Bring on those sticky kisses, I'll take all of them I can get.

2 comments:

Rachel Haack said...

This was lovely. Had me laughing, I can so relate. Thanks for sharing.
rae

Suzanne said...

HAHA! I love that little mud slinger, and his sister too. Good post Mickie. :)