Wednesday, February 9, 2011

V-day Peppermint Dessert with Bloom Guest Pamela

Yay! Pamela is back with another Valentine's Day dessert idea!

I grew up eating this dessert during the Christmas Holidays. I loved the marshmallows, pink peppermint and of course the chocolate. But, we have enough treats and candy around the house during Christmas. So....I like to make this dessert for Valentine's Day. And why not? It's pink!!!

Peppermint Dessert:

I make this recipe using two kitchen appliances: my Kitchenaid and Cuisinart. I loved the layer look and I also love that this dessert is no bake. Just out of the freezer and into your mouth. Yum!!

Crust: 2 cups crushed Nilla Wafers
1 cube of Butter (melted)

Don't skimp on the butter. The wafers need to be really moist and soak up all the butter in order to make the layers work. Also, I crush my wafers in my Cuisinart. Place wafers in the bottom of a 9 by 13 pan. Spread and pat with a fork evenly across pan. Place in fridge to start freezing while you make the chocolate.

Chocolate: 1 cup butter or two cubes (softened)
2 cups powdered sugar
6 egg yolks
2 oz. semisweet chocolate (melted)
1/2 cup crushed walnuts

Beat softened butter and powdered sugar until creamy. Add egg yolks and beat again. Because you don't cook this dessert, make sure you don't have any lumps of butter. Melt chocolate in microwave and add, beat again. Fold in walnuts by hand. Layer on top of wafers. Place in fridge to start freezing while you make the peppermint.


Peppermint: 2 cups heavy whipping cream (whipped)
3 cups mini marshmallows
1 cup crushed walnuts
1/2 cup crushed peppermint


Beat cream until cream holds shape, dot not over beat cream because you will do some stirring by hand, so just watch your cream while mixing. I use my Cuisinart to crush the peppermint. I mix the peppermint to a very fine texture, almost like powder. Then fold in marshmallows, nuts and peppermint. Stir until just mixed. Layer on top of chocolate. Place in fridge until hard. About 6 hours, if freezing overnight cover with tin foil.


Thanks again to the wonderful ladies at Bloom for letting me guest post. I hope everyone has a marvelous Valentine's Day.

Pamela is the author of the crafty blog: French Knots. She lives in Utah with her husband and three sons. Her favorite holiday is Valentine’s Day (yes, more than Christmas!!) and her favorite colors are pink and red. When Pamela isn’t crafting with her sons, she is quilting, cooking, reading and or running; not in that order or all at the same time.

2 comments:

Joan said...

Nilla wafers AND butter?!?! How could we go wrong!?
Can't wait to try it! Thank you, Pamela :)

Sue said...

Looks heavenly!