Sunday, November 28, 2010

Advent Inspiration



Hi friends! Hope you had a warm, wonderful, delicious Thanksgiving. Holiday highlights for me included: being completely "unplugged," talking and laughing into the wee hours with my siblings, watching my small children reflect on their blessings, and savoring the sporadic blue skies and sunshine of a crisp Northwestern November. I felt kind of hollow this morning knowing that everyone would be boarding planes and packing up their cars to return to school/far-away homes. I would've been much schmaltzier about it if I didn't have the consolation of Christmas on the horizon. We pulled out three big Tupperware boxes of decor and started decking the halls this afternoon. One of the most exciting parts of Holiday preparations around here is the anticipation of our Advent countdown.



I pulled out our 25 little boxes a few days ago and I've been jotting down plans and ideas. I need to wrap up the Christmas books and movies (several of our advent activities will consist of unwrapping and reading a Christmas book or watching a Christmas movie). I added a few new titles to our Holiday library the other day - very excited to share them with the kids! I think they'll be especially dazzled by Robert Sabuda's Twelve Days of Christmas pop-up masterpiece. So cool!

Anyway, just a little reminder to get out your advent calendar (or make/buy one and start this fun family tradition!) If you need some advent inspiration, Traci did a fantastic little series last year about cute calendars and fun activities/ideas to go along with them - Christmas puzzles, printable coloring pages, sugar cookie baking, picnicking around the Christmas tree, making ornaments...that's just the tip of the Advent iceberg. So many great ideas! Come back tomorrow to sample our favorite Christmas tunes - we'll be posting a Holiday playlist. It's going to be a festive December at Bloom - we've got home tours and recipes, service suggestions and handmade gift ideas to share! Don't be a stranger.


How do you count down to Christmas?
What activities do you have planned as part of your Holiday advent?

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Thanks for this post! December 1 always sneaks up on me, but this reminded me to get our boxes out today. We always have the first Monday in Dec as a Family Night with Christmas music, decorating and cocoa, but it's usually AFTER the first of Dec. Thanks for kicking me into gear. :D

Kassie said...

I'm not sure if it's just my computer or if it's the site, but I'm unable to view the pictures from last year about the advent calendar ideas. I would love to see them - is there any way to get them up again??

Bloom said...

Kassie - thank you. we had some trouble with the photos, but i've reloaded them, so you should be able to see them. there are even a few new ones, so be sure to check it out :)

Kassie said...

Yay! Thank you! I'm looking forward to trying the baby sock one from Martha. Looks simple enough for a totally un-crafty person like me to handle, not to mention adorable. I love all the ideas for activities to put in the calendars as well. It adds the perfect touch to the season and just the sort of family tradition I've been hoping to get started with my little ones. Thanks!

Darcy said...

Thanks so much for all the advent inspiration! I must admit that I've never done an advent calendar for my 4 yr old son before so I'm very excited to start this new tradition! I've loved seeing his face light up when he opens the little door to find a treasure and how excited he gets about the activity that follows. This is a great way to make sure we are squeezing in all those wonderful Christmas activities day by day. Seriously Bloom, you just bumped our Christmas spirit several notches! Thanks again!!! --Darcy