Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Exercise Tip #3 by Bloom Guest Rachael


Rachael's back sharing the next exercise tip in her series. If you missed the previous ones, you can find them here, here, and here. Great stuff!



Tip #3: Find a time that works for you.

Here’s the deal: you are never going to exercise if you don’t make time for it. Plain
and simple. If you are planning to “fit it in somewhere,” odds are that it will never
happen. Sit down (really, take a minute to focus!), consciously consider your day and the
demands of your daily life, and plan out where you’ll exercise. The general guidelines
are at least 30 minutes of cardio, 3-4 times a week.

Here are the things I know about myself:
1 ) I like to be showered and dressed before the kids are awake.
2 ) Once the children are in bed at night, I like to read.
3 ) If I exercise late at night, I am too energized to sleep.
4 ) I am very grumpy in the morning. I have to be up well before anyone else so that
I have enough time to wake up before I need to change diapers, divvy out sippy
cups, and comb hair.
5 ) I have a treadmill, so I can exercise during the day, but I would rather spend that
time with the children instead of shooing them away from the treadmill belt.
6 ) I can go to free aerobics classes at my church with my children, but they are
during my baby’s naptime.

For me, the best option is to exercise first thing in the morning and be back before anyone
else is up. Ultimately, this is part of why I run—I can do it on my own time frame rather
than needing a team or a class or a teacher.

Look at your options. Consider your schedule and the needs of your family. Make a
reasonable plan that will integrate smoothly with your daily life. Keep in mind that
taking the time to exercise does your entire family a favor—your physical and emotional
health will only benefit them!

2 comments:

Danielle said...

Thanks for the tips! I am mentally gearing myself up for post baby exercising! I think you are so right about planning ahead...that is something I am not great with, but I think will have to make more of a priority.

Christene {WhipperBerry} said...

I'm loving these wonderful tips! Thanks for these sensible steps toward healthy habits. These are so great!