In light of back-to-school season, we thought it would be fun to share a few ideas for delicious, healthy, not-boring school lunches.
Today we'll chat about ideas for the lunch itself - tomorrow we'll talk about the bags/boxes we pack it in. We'll show you a few we think are neat. AND! We've got a super cool (super green) giveaway lined up!
So, to keep lunch time fun, to fend off a boring lunch rut, and to really nourish your little student here are a few ideas:
* Include small portions of several foods rather than large portions of just a few things.
* Be creative with dips: peanut butter or yogurt for fruit. Hummus or a salad dressing for veggies. (The Meza Hummus available at Costco is delicious!) Cream cheese or salsa for crackers.
* Sneak a little pack of stickers in your child's lunchbox for an unexpected surprise.
* Sick of sandwiches? Try a pasta salad with whole wheat pasta, finely chopped veggies, cheese, & olives.
* Drop your child a love note in their lunchbox, my mom used to do this and it was so fun to discover an unexpected little message from her mid-day!
* If you're sending apple slices, dip them into water mixed with lemon juice to prevent browning (you can also submerge them in Sprite for the same effect!)
* Let your children help with food selection and preparation. To help them make nutritious choices you can make a master list of acceptable options and then let them choose from among them. They'll be much more likely to eat what they've chosen and helped to prepare.
* Prep the night before - mornings are crazy enough sans lunch stress.
* Buy some little cutters and make shapes out of cheese, fruit leather or tortillas.
Wouldn't it be fun to send little messages with letter-shaped food? Check out this awesome Wilton set of alphabet cutters:
Still curious about great lunch ideas? There are tons of fun and helpful tips at Another Lunch. Really, it's an incredible resource; check it out! And make sure to meet us back here tomorrow for a lunch-related giveaway!
What are your best suggestions for a great school lunch?