Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Love Your Mother {earth]


I feel like I've just been coasting through the days with my kids - keeping everyone clean, fed, and mostly happy. I haven't been very good at facilitating the memorable, the magical or the exciting. That needs to change. Delighting my children is such a thrill - I know this; I just have to remember that it's worth the extra effort. And we're going to make the effort for Earth Day; it's going to be a green&blue to-do and I've been searching the internets for inspiration.

Wanted to share the following with you:


Tin Can Herb Garden

Take Care of the Earth Coloring Page



Sticks & Stones Mobile (perfect for little boys - what do they like more than rocks & sticks??)

Set an Earth Day Goal. Big change comes in small steps - talk with your family about one thing each of you can do to be more kind to the earth.

Read Dr. Seuss's "The Lorax":

"But now," says the Once-ler,
"Now that you're here,
the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear.
UNLESS someone like you
cares a whole awful lot,
nothing is going to get better.
It's not.

Go on a nature walk and point out all the interesting and beautiful things you see along the way. Take time to sit quietly and listen to the sounds of the earth - the birds, the breeze, the rustling or leaves, the trickle of a stream or the pitter pat of the rain.

Check out Family Fun's impressive list of Nature Crafts and Gardening Tips.

Earth Day Word Puzzles & More Coloring Pages

Have a dance party to Jack Johnson's Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.

And play this lullaby when the sun sets on your celebrations. Really, you'll love it.

xo,
Em

4 comments:

sharon said...

cant remember if i have shared my post on gardening with you or not - but here it is... :)

http://lovelybud.typepad.com/lovely-bud/2010/04/hope-grows-my-california-homestead.html

Jana said...

Your garden boxes are stunning-hope you reap a huge harvest.
jana

Garden Street Zoo said...

I love the tin can garden pot idea. That would also be a good green mother's day gift for the Grandmas.

Christina said...

I just checked out a book from the library by Sharon Lovejoy called Toad Cottages and Shooting Stars: Grandma's Bag of Tricks. In her book she planted a tomato start in a Heinz ketchup #10 can. I thought it was a cute idea. I think it's a pretty fun book. It's marketed towards grandparents, but I've already used three ideas out of it for our family.

I plan to move some of my tomato starts in to some larger cans tomorrow and I think I will make it a family project for Earth Day :) Thanks for the ideas.