Monday, January 18, 2010

Words of Dr. King


The end of last week I suggested some great books to read with your children in commemoration of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. Now how about some reading for you?

In my freshman year of college, my beloved writing teacher (one of the most influential people in my college career) assigned us to read Letter From Birmingham Jail by Martin Luther King, Jr. I had never read it, nor even heard of it. I found it powerfully stirring, and now read it every year on this very day. For me, it brings real meaning to this holiday. Find it HERE.

--Anne

2 comments:

Sassy Salsa girl said...

Thank you for sharing :D

Joan said...

I've never heard of that letter before. Sad but true. I even had to google "Birmingham" b/c I wasn't sure where that was exactly (I'm pathetic at geography, I'm afraid to say).
He is such an eloquent writer. It is no wonder he moved so many and was the direct motivator for such phenomenal change. Thanks for sharing this, Anne :)